- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease or line a 12 mini cake cup tin.
- In a medium sized bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until soft and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Add the lemon rind and juice and beat until well combined.
- Gently fold in the flour, salt and milk.
- Divide the batter equally amongst the cake tins and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- To make the icing, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add in the lemon juice and milk and combine.
- Pipe or spread the icing onto the cakes and top with extra lemon zest